A Race To Help Veterans in Need in Charlotte County
Punta Gorda, FL will host a 10K and 5K race on Memorial Day, Monday, May 29, 2017. Runners and walkers are encouraged to register for the race as we kick off the 3rd Annual Memorial Day Veterans 10K & 5K Race. Proceeds will go to Veterans in need in Charlotte County.
“Our Soldiers go through a lot even after they’ve returned from deployment, and sometimes need a hand up, so now it’s our turn to give back,” says Allen Carsten, head of a Veterans group in Charlotte County. “Those who make it home have scars, and some we can’t see.” As a Veteran himself, Carsten found healing in starting up The Veterans Group at his local church, Deep Creek Community Church. “Reaching out to help another person, there’s great healing in that. That’s what it’s all about.” Composed of men who have served in our Armed Forces, The Veterans Group began visiting homeless Veterans in Charlotte County in late 2013. “It’s about physically and spiritually making a difference in a human soldier’s life who sacrificed and fought for our freedom,” says Carsten.
Last year’s inaugural race fundraised money to enable The Veterans Group to help both Veteran initiative organizations and individual Veterans in the community.
Who We Helped:
- Matched funds raised for a Veteran needing financial support for her children while she was battling cancer and unable to work.
- Renaissance Home for homeless Veterans in Port Charlotte
- Individuals living in the Renaissance Home who needed immediate help with rent
- An outdoor sign was made and installed at the Punta Gorda Veterans Village, which resulted in increased exposure to that organization and new donations from the community
- Residents at the Village received a donation to their entertainment fund to see movies, enjoy outings and have a better quality of life
- The Disabled American Veterans
- Individual Veterans residing in the community
One Veteran appreciated the assistance and vowed to pay it back once he got on his feet, which he did.
Join the race to make a difference within the community. To sign up for the 4th Annual Memorial Day 10K and 5K Race set for Monday, May 29, 2017 in Punta Gorda, log onto RunSignUp.com (registration opens January 1st). It is open to the first 600 people and showcases the Punta Gorda waterfront. New for 2017 is a Virtual Race. Runners can register locally at The Foot Landing or Deep Creek Community Church in Punta Gorda.
If you or your organization would like to sponsor the race, contact Roy Borrego at 941-628-2820.
About It’s Out Turn, Inc.
Founded in 2014, It’s Our Turn, Inc. is a nonprofit 501c3 for the sole purpose of helping Veterans in need in Charlotte County, Florida.
About Deep Creek Community Church
Located in Punta Gorda next to Charlotte High School, Deep Creek Community Church’s mission statement is “Turning unchurched and unplugged people into totally devoted followers of Jesus Christ.” Several Life Groups meet during the week including the two groups helping to organize the Memorial Day Veteran’s 10K and 5K Race, The Veteran’s Group and Run For God group. Services are Saturday nights at 5:00pm and 6:45pm, Sunday mornings at 9:00am and 10:45am at 1500 Cooper Street, Punta Gorda, FL. http://www.dc3.tv